Passion - Commitment - History

I love Jayhawk sports. I love watching them. I love reading about them. I love writing about them. I love talking about them. I love bringing a group of friends together to watch a game. I love the emotional ups and downs that go with every play. I love spending a day in Lawrence and soaking up the history of Allen Fieldhouse and Memorial Stadium.

That is the reason for JAYTALKERS.com. It's a place for me to share my passion with Jayhawk fans around the world. I hope you enjoy it.

KEEP ROCKIN' AND CHALKIN',

Mic

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

74-65: KU Over KSU...AGAIN

*And the streak lives on.

*KSU did what they always seem to do. Play out of their minds at times. Hit more 3’s than they typically do. And fold like a 5-dollar bill when it was all said and done. They tried hard. They played hard. And they lost…again.

*Did anyone else feel sorry for Christian Moody? He was completely overmatched against Massey tonight and fouled within seconds of entering the game on a couple of occasions. I love Moody to death, but performances like that could hurt this team in the tournament unless guys like Kaun and Giles can continue to step up.

*Massey was 6-of-16 from the floor and 8-of-11 from the FT line. I think the officials gave Massey a whistle as it seemed like every time he didn’t score, a whistle was blown to put him on the line.

*Solid game offensively and defensively for Sasha Kaun. He is really coming around and is strengthening our depth in the post with each game he plays.

*This team has to take an honest look at how they let a 17-point lead dwindle to 4. That is inexcusable for a team with the experience that this Jayhawk team has. I give them credit for finishing the game off, but I also think they need to look deep inside themselves and ask how they could let off the gas and let KSU back in it.

*Fred Peete did some ballin’ tonight. 6-of-8 from 3-pt range. Anyone wanna bet he won’t shoot like that for the rest of the season?

*Could the Jayhawks have looked more clueless against the zone? Again, inexcusable. They had glimpses where they looked like they knew what they were doing, but those were few and far between. Self, on the poor play against the zone, said “we started playing like we were trying not to lose….too many unforced errors….” Playing not to lose and going for the jugular are two different things. It concerns me a bit that this team has a tendency to do the former moreso than the latter.

*Who took over Aaron Miles body for a few minutes in the second half? A ball bounces off his face and leads to a turnover. He throws an alley-oop lob about 30 feet above the backboard. And he has 8 of KU’s 15 turnovers. He had 1 point. Self said “…he was due a game like this”. Uh, ok.

*A few KSU fans had a cheer I hadn’t heard before. “Who’s your daddy?-ho-ho…Who’s your daddy?-ho-ho”. After extending The Streak for another year, I think the answer to that question is rather clear.

*In Self’s postgame comments, he sounded none too happy. He sounded extremely frustrated with our sloppy passing, turnovers, and defensive breakdowns toward the end of the game.

All in all, another good win at The House The Jayhawks Built. It’s a conference win on the road against a “rival”. Those don’t usually come easy, and it didn’t come easy tonight.

I honestly never really doubted that the Jayhawks would pull it off. It was the difference between a team that knows how to close out a game vs. a team that is trying to learn how to do it.

Rock Chalk

Mic

No comments:

Post a Comment