Passion - Commitment - History

I love Jayhawk sports. I love watching them. I love reading about them. I love writing about them. I love talking about them. I love bringing a group of friends together to watch a game. I love the emotional ups and downs that go with every play. I love spending a day in Lawrence and soaking up the history of Allen Fieldhouse and Memorial Stadium.

That is the reason for JAYTALKERS.com. It's a place for me to share my passion with Jayhawk fans around the world. I hope you enjoy it.

KEEP ROCKIN' AND CHALKIN',

Mic

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

KU-MU: I can't help but look ahead

During this most improbable and incredible of KU Football seasons, I have tried extremely hard to embrace the "one game at a time" mentality that Coach Mark Mangino, his coaching staff and his players have been preaching. So far, I've done a pretty good job of it.

But I have a confession to make.

I can't do it anymore.

I want to. I really do. But I just can’t.

While I know Iowa State has recent wins against Colorado and K-State, have an experienced quarterback in Bret Meyer, have up and coming coach Gene Chezik, and would love nothing more than to beat the only undefeated team left in the Top 10, I just can't focus on this game.

Why, you ask?

Ok, you probably don't have to ask because you know, in your heart of Jayhawk hearts: You're just as guilty as I am.

November 24th: KU-Missouri in SOLD OUT ARROWHEAD STADIUM.

Ok. There. I said it.

With Thanksgiving right around the corner and visions of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, pie and more, Jayhawk Nation is going to be treated to a smorgasbord of football with a fervor and anticipation that most Jayhawk football fans have never experienced in their lifetimes.

Let’s assume that KU beats Iowa State this weekend. Let’s assume that Missouri beats KSU (though this is my upset special of the week because (A) It’s Senior Day in Manhattan (B) KSU’s pride is still aching after the 73 point massacre in Lincoln last week and they will want to prove it was a fluke, and (C) Missouri ALWAYS seems to find ways to screw up a good thing.)

There is so much riding on this game. Here are my thoughts, in no particular order:

*The MU game concerns me. Just like KU, MU has an explosive offense led by an excellent quarterback. If I’m honest with myself, I think MU’s offense is more polished at this point. *Both teams have solid defenses that have, at times, risen to the occasion, and at other times, given up big plays. KU’s defense has given up 39 and 28 points, respectively, in the last two weeks. Missouri’s defense has given up more than 20 points in 6 of their games this year.
*The winner wins the Big 12 North.
*The winner goes on to the Big 12 Championship Game in San Antonio.
*The winner keeps their dream of a National Championship alive.
*The winner, and it’s fan base, gets bragging rights for an entire year.
*The winning coach catapults to the top of the Coach of the Year rankings.
*I literally get sick to my stomach when I think of what it would be like to be in Arrowhead if MU won the game. Not only because of all of the previously mentioned benefits to the winner, not only because I would have to watch the MU fan base celebrate (I like to say: “Every fan base has ignorant fans. At MU, they just have more.”), but also because everyone and their dog in the national media will quickly hop off the Kansas bandwagon and say "See, their schedule was weak. When they played a quality opponent, they lost. And now they're going to the Holiday or Alamo Bowl". As quickly as KU rose to be “the story of the year in college football” (Thanks Kirk Herbsteit), that’s how quickly some people will pounce on them if they lose.
*If KU wins, it will INCREDIBLE. It will be a celebration not seen in Kansas City since the Jayhawk basketball team won the 1988 National Championship in Kemper Arena. We certainly know Kansas City has pretty much given up on the dream of any mass celebrations for the Chiefs and Royals anytime soon.

My prediction?

I can’t make a prediction. I don’t want to look ahead. I….must….focus….on….Iowa…State.

Oh, forget it. I can’t do it.

It's going to be a major battle that will come down to second half adjustments by the coaching staffs and a few big, key plays. I really think it’s too close to call but in the interest of getting off the fence and supporting my beloved alma mater, I’m going with….wait for it…wait for it….

KU: 42 MISERY: 35

Keep Rockin’ and Chalkin’,

Mic
www.jaytalkers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment