Passion - Commitment - History

I love Jayhawk sports. I love watching them. I love reading about them. I love writing about them. I love talking about them. I love bringing a group of friends together to watch a game. I love the emotional ups and downs that go with every play. I love spending a day in Lawrence and soaking up the history of Allen Fieldhouse and Memorial Stadium.

That is the reason for JAYTALKERS.com. It's a place for me to share my passion with Jayhawk fans around the world. I hope you enjoy it.

KEEP ROCKIN' AND CHALKIN',

Mic

Sunday, March 21, 2010

One article....

Jayhawk fans, if you read only one article, make it this one from one of the best journalists there is, Joe Posnanski: http://ow.ly/1p0nI

He summarizes perfectly, and exactly, how I felt all season long about this team. I never knew the exact words or phrase to describe it. I never knew how to say what I wanted to say without it sounding negative or pessimistic (even though I knew I wasn't). But it was always there and I literally felt it every single time I watched KU play, even as they won game after game, the Big 12 regular season, and the Big 12 Tournament.

I loved that they were winning and I enjoyed countless great moments throughout the season. But I also couldn't ignore what I saw time and again with my own two eyes. Something wasn't right. Something was missing. I referred to it as a lack of killer instinct, as playing down to the level of competition, as playing only 15-20 minutes of good basketball every game and how that was good enough to beat most teams. And no matter how many times I tried, I was never able to find the right, and most eloquent, words. All season long I had an overwhelming feeling of calm before the storm....and Northern Iowa was the storm.

Many of you know how deep my passion is for KU, and more specifically, KU basketball. I'm in mourning and will be for awhile. I'm not looking forward to the 5 stages of grief. Jayhawk fans have been here before and it hurts the same every time. If you want to experience the highest of highs, you have to experience the lowest of lows along the way.

This team gave us many great memories....the feeling of loss and missed opportunity with this Jayhawk team is one that will be felt for years to come....but only one team and one fan base will be happy when the season is over. That's the way it goes.

As we all know, sometimes things don't work out the way we want them to. When life gives us lemons, we can choose to make lemonade. I'm going to my first-ever Final Four this year....and this definitely isn't what I had in mind.....but I'll be proudly wearing my Jayhawk gear every single day I'm in Indianapolis.
And no matter what, I will Keep Rockin' and Chalkin'....FOREVER.

Mic

No comments:

Post a Comment