Passion - Commitment - History

I love Jayhawk sports. I love watching them. I love reading about them. I love writing about them. I love talking about them. I love bringing a group of friends together to watch a game. I love the emotional ups and downs that go with every play. I love spending a day in Lawrence and soaking up the history of Allen Fieldhouse and Memorial Stadium.

That is the reason for JAYTALKERS.com. It's a place for me to share my passion with Jayhawk fans around the world. I hope you enjoy it.

KEEP ROCKIN' AND CHALKIN',

Mic

Sunday, January 07, 2007

KU-South Carolina: What makes this win even more impressive

...than it already was is the several things that jump out when looking at the stat sheet.

http://www.rockchalk.com/games/g200715.sht

KU was outrebounded by 9 in the first half and ended up winning the rebounding battle 31-28. That's a very impressive halftime adjustment.

KU wins by 16, but is outscored by 12 from 3-pt range and 14 at the free throw line (KU was whistled for 9 more fouls than SC). When was the last time KU only got 5 FT attempts?

The "depth" factor and wearing down SC was discussed, yet KU had 4 players that played 30 or more minutes (SC had 5) and DA was only 3 minutes shy of 30 minutes.

I also don't think our defensive effort has gotten enough play. Our guys played some suffocating defense tonight, holding SC to 38%, Tre Kelley to 3-of-16 (and SIX turnovers) and Bryce Kelley (who someone mentioned could light it up) to 1-of-6.

As I've said before, this team has played at a very high level defensively this season. Once the offense reaches that same level, and today was a step in the right direction, this team will be awesome.

Another tidbit: I read on an SC board where one of their fans said that 40%....FORTY PERCENT!...of the building today was filled with Jayhawk fans. That is INCREDIBLE, folks. We get more fans travelling to non-conference road games than most teams in the Big 12 get for home games. Again, simply incredible.

Finally, as I re-watched the game, I have NEVER seen Bill Self as fired up as he was early in the game when he got the technical. And I noticed him on his feet on several occasions during the game. From my recollection, in many games, he's spent a lot of time sitting on the bench, sometimes emotionless, but that certainly wasn't the case tonight. He had his game face on and his team completely fed off of his intensity.

On to the conference season. It's going to be a lot of fun.

Keep Rockin and Chalkin,

Mic

4 comments:

  1. It would have been nice to be able to see this game. Living in the DC Metro area, the wise men at CBS decided that Indiana vs. Michigan State was a better draw than KU-USC.

    I never hated the ACC and Big 10 until I moved to the East Coast.

    Utterly ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya, hawkinno.va. CBS also made the rest of the country listen to their NFL talking heads after the Jets-Pats game, so we missed the first 4+ minutes of the game. There is no question that CBS sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big kansas basketball fan and there are only 3 kansas fans in my whole school....I'm always fighting with all the mu fans what can a say to make them shut up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good question, Anonymous, but there are so many answers, it's hard just to pick one. MU fans are notorious for being jealous of KU because their pathetic program hasn't experienced 1/100th of the success that KU has.

    Try: "Congratulations on your last Final Four" (they've never been to one"

    Or you can try "Where are you ranked right now?" (they're not)

    Or you can tell them that it's impressive that the Paige Arena is averaging about 6,000 fans a game.

    MU fans are jealous. Always have been always will be.

    Keep Rockin and Chalkin,

    Mic

    ReplyDelete