Passion - Commitment - History

I love Jayhawk sports. I love watching them. I love reading about them. I love writing about them. I love talking about them. I love bringing a group of friends together to watch a game. I love the emotional ups and downs that go with every play. I love spending a day in Lawrence and soaking up the history of Allen Fieldhouse and Memorial Stadium.

That is the reason for JAYTALKERS.com. It's a place for me to share my passion with Jayhawk fans around the world. I hope you enjoy it.

KEEP ROCKIN' AND CHALKIN',

Mic

Monday, November 20, 2006

College Basketball Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

(Click the title of this post to see pictures from the event)

As some of you may know, the first-ever College Basketball Hall of Fame is being built in downtown Kansas City. On Sunday night, I was fortunate enough to attend a reception and the inagural Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony.

The inagural Hall of Fame class was represented by 5 men whose names are synonomous with college basketball success: James Naismith, John Wooden, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson and Dean Smith.

It was an amazing event and I was a kid in a candy store surrounded by so many great college coaches and players.

Below are some notes/highlights of the evening for me. Also click the photo album below to see some of the pictures from the night.

It was a great evening and a night this Jayhawk, and college basketball, fan will never forget.
Rock Chalk,

Mic
John Wooden--96 years old, but still amazingly sharp-minded. Being around him was awe-inspiring. I was also fortunate enough to get him to sign my program (along with Dean Smith and Bill Walton). He won multiple National Championships at UCLA.

James Naismith's grandson--Did a nice job speaking on behalf of his grandfather and illustrated how important it is for the Naismith family to be a part of the event. The Naismith family also has a foundation that helps get children interested in and involved in sports.
Bill Russell--played college basketball for the University of San Francisco and then played several years in the NBA with the Boston Celtics. Was a part of a high school championship, two college national championships and ELEVEN NBA championships.

Oscar Robertson--played for the University of Cincinnati and later in the pros. Is the only player to have averaged a triple double (points, assists, rebounds) in a college season.
Dean Smith--grew up in Kansas; played at KU under Phog allen; currently the coach with the most wins in NCAA history.

Billy Packer--CBS analyst; he was the emcee for the evening and did a nice job and was very complimentary of Kansas City's roots, history and tradition as it relates to college basketball.

Bill Walton--introduced John Wooden with a very long and funny speech--played for Wooden at UCLA, played in the NBA, and now is an NBA broadcaster.

Max Falkenstein--Recently retired KU broadcaster. Had called KU games on the radio for 60 years. A KU icon.

Larry Brown--Led KU to the 1988 National Championship. The only coach to have won a championship as a coach in college, in the NBA and in the Olympics.

Bob Frederick--former KU athletic director.

Christian Moody, Patrick Richey--former KU basketball players.

C. M. Newton--former Athletic Director at the University of Kentucky.

Mike Kryzweiski--Head coach at Duke University.

Bobby Knight--Former head coach at Indiana University. Now the coach at Texas Tech.
Denny Crum--Former Louisville head coach.

Steve Lavin--Former UCLA Bruin head coach. Currently an ESPN analyst. He made a funny comment about Bill Walton, saying "I owe a lot to Bill Walton. He helped me get a job at ESPN after UCLA handed me my pink slip. He never liked me when I was coaching at UCLA, but he helped me get a job during a very difficult time."

Mike Jarvis--Former head coach at George Washington University and St. John's University. Does some tv broadcasting.

Johnny Dawkins--Assistant Head Coach at Duke University and former Duke player.

Also, there were video excerpts from Dick Vitalke, Roy Williams and Wayne Embry and the night ended with a song by legendary KC blues/jazz singer Ida McBeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment